Experts in Residence: Dionne Mischler, Joe Stafford, Marc Bellotti, Monica Jan

Experts in Residence Spotlight
August 26, 2016 By Applied Innovation

Dionne Mischler

Joe Stafford

Marc Bellotti

Monica Jan

Dionne Mischler

A nearly 20-year Inside Sales veteran and executive, Dionne specializes in teaching leaders and organizations how to establish and grow teams through engaging, informative workshops and seminars

Who or what has been your greatest inspiration in life?

Wow, what a question. There are almost too many to list! I would say my church’s small groups, husband, family, and spending time with my kids. Also, the fine art of slowing down to observe, learn and serve.

As a strong Type A, I study to have all the answers. This is great, except nobody likes a know-it-all. As the recipient of some very useful advice and coaching (and probably age), I have learned the value of curiosity and the power of attention combined with a willing heart to help others. This combination has been groundbreaking. It has taken many of my relationships to new levels and has allowed me to pay it forward providing inspiration to others. The results of applying that advice have been fantastic because life is all about relationships.

What is one piece of advice you would share with a new entrepreneur?

My advice to a new entrepreneur is keep moving forward, even if you do not have it all figured out. My second piece of advice is to work on having a heightened sense of self-awareness. To elaborate, when the feelings of anxiety or stress come up, and they will, having the wherewithal to step back and ask yourself and your trusted advisors some probing questions comes in handy. It helps you get unstuck.

Why did you decide to become a Cove Expert-In-Residence?

I decided to become a Cove EiR to give back to the community, to new companies, and learn from others as well. I have been, and continue to be, blessed with amazing friends, coaches, and advisors. It would be remiss of me not to share and give back. Becoming a Cove EiR provides an excellent way to do that and learn from others at the same time.

If you could pick any fictional world to live in, which would you select and why?

Great question! We have just introduced our kids to the Chronicles of Narnia movies, so that is at the top of my mind right now. I would say Narnia. How cool it would be to be a part of that world, as a good guy, of course. Learning life lessons from Aslan and so many others in that realm could spark creativity and inspire work that could form our character.

Joe Stafford

Joe Stafford is an avid entrepreneur in the information technology, cloud hosting, and electronics industries with a successful history applying his financial and strategic planning skills coupled with sales management and marketing to help companies drive earnings, growth, and value.

Currently, Joe is the Chief Financial Officer for Data Resolution, a leading provider of managed hosting services. He is also the founder and Managing Director of Trinity Business Advisors, a consulting firm that provides management consulting and outsourced CFO/Controller services to small and mid-sized companies.

Joe’s is also the founder and CEO of IC Trends, a multimillion-dollar company servicing electronics manufacturers with supply chain risk management and IC Solutions.  For five years, Joe was Chief Financial Officer of New Momentum, a subscription- based software solution targeting the electronics, pharmaceutical, and luxury goods industries.

Winston Churchill.  In some of the darkest hours in human history, he never gave in and fought for what he believed to be right against incredible odds–and he triumphed in the end.

Never give in if what you are doing is true to your values. Don’t sacrifice your values to get what you want.

I see it as an opportunity to give back to others and share some of the knowledge that I have gained along my journey.  Hopefully, I can help someone avoid some of the bumps and bruises that I have experienced.

What superpower would you choose and why?

That is a tough one because many superpowers involve changing the present or future by altering past events.  I don’t think that is right.  To be completely selfish with this one I would say the gift of flight.  It would be cool to walk outside and take off!

Marc Bellotti

Marc is a Senior Executive in Biomedical Systems Product Development with broad experience in regulated, life-sustaining systems such as dialysis, plasmapheresis, combination drug and device systems, sterilization, area decontamination, protein modifications, and delipidation.

He has more than 35 years of medical device development experience working in both large and small companies including senior positions at Baxter Healthcare both as Director of Renal Dialysis R&D and Director of Advanced Engineering and Design. Additionally, Marc has led organizations such as Johnson and Johnson where he was Worldwide VP of R&D for Advanced Sterilization Products. Concerning startups, Marc has held VP of R&D roles for a startup specializing in lipoprotein modifications and vaccines in addition to another startup focused on Endodontics.

Marc holds both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Biomedical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and has over 100 patents and patents pending in addition to several publications. He served as Chairman of Operations for the Georgia Tech Corporate Consortium for Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing. Additionally, Marc has been a consultant to the medical device and pharmaceutical industry for several years

Currently, Marc is a partner at Fuel Source Partners, a management consulting and development execution company for the medical device industry.

Leonardo De Vinci! The Renaissance was an explosion in human learning and spirit. Great thinkers and doers gifted in many different disciplines transformed the dark ages. This exponential growth continues to some degree today. The idea of “jack of all trades but master of none” certainly did not apply to these great thinkers. I wish I could be as talented in any one area as they were in many.

This inspiration has driven me to pursue medical innovation through engineering.  Artificial organs, life-sustaining systems, cures for debilitating diseases are all within our grasp. We are living in a dynamically changing time. We need to charge forward like the great thinkers did in the past.

Steven Alexander Wright said, “Experience is something you do not get until just after you need it.” Unfortunately, in the entrepreneurial game, this can be a serious issue. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and get advice. Research what has been done before and learn from others’ mistakes. You may believe what you are doing is so unique no one is in a position to offer advice. However, as we know,  “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” (George Santayana paraphrased by Winston Churchill) Remember, it is never the snake you see that gets you! Always try to uncover all the snakes any way you can. Then change directions, if necessary, to avoid getting bitten.

For all the obvious reasons. Paying it forward, sharing the experiences I have had, hopefully, to help others avoid the same mistakes I have made. I enjoy staying involved with innovation, medical development, and continuing to learn. I am also interested in developing new relationships.  Never forget that life is about relationships. It is the thing that matters most to all of us.

Definitely something in the future! Not an apocalyptic future, but a future filled with positive outcomes that are a result of the human race getting to a better place.  That is why I like Star Trek. As optimistic as the original concept was, the theme was the triumph of the human spirit. I also like the gadgets and techy stuff.

Someone once asked me where I would go if I could take a vacation anywhere regardless of cost. My answer was, “I would sign up for the Mars Mission”. They responded back, “that would be a one-way trip,” I replied, “life is a one-way trip; just go for it.”

Monica Jan

Monica brings over 22 years of experience in the technology and aerospace industries.  Her expertise ranges from space, robotics, to consumer electronics.  She’s been involved in research and development in artificial intelligence, networking architectures and hardware, telematics systems, and space systems. During her tenure at Northrop Grumman, her architecture and implementation of a satellite switching subsystem won the Chairman’s Innovation Award.  In her consulting career, she has worked with both entrepreneurs and corporations on technical and product development, business development, strategic partnerships, operations and cross-functional process improvement, and supply chain alignment.  She currently advises high-tech startups on their business and technology strategies.  As part of the steering committee for the Wharton Angel Network and Wharton Aerospace Ventures, she works actively with investors and entrepreneurs.

Monica holds BSEE and MSEE degrees from the University of Southern California, a Systems Engineering certificate from the California Institute of Technology, and an MBA from The Wharton School.  She currently holds a faculty position at The Wharton School with the Global Consulting Practicum Program.

Monica is a partner at LightSpeed Innovations, an aerospace accelerator venture.  When not busy building the aerospace ecosystem, you can find her coaching triathletes or teaching adaptive skiing on the slopes.

My grandmother has always been my inspiration in life. She instilled in me that anything is possible if you put your mind to it, and that you need to fight for what you believe in; the status quo isn’t always right or just.  She grew up in China during a time when girls were not allowed to go to school.  She fought against her family, culture, and traditional values so that she could attend school.  Despite being the only girl in her school and getting bullied by her classmates, she not only succeeded by consistently placing at the top of her class but also eventually won over the respect and support of her classmates.  I only wish I’m half as courageous and as cool as my grandma.  Because of her, education and women’s rights are two areas near and dear to my heart.

Talk to your customers and listen.  It is crucial to understand what your customers need and value, to listen to all the voices in the marketplace you’re in.  Too often we meet technologists who created solutions looking for problems to solve.  To create value, you need to be solving real issues that your customers are facing.  Help take away major pain points, or create huge advancements in a particular revenue generating area for them.  Once you understand your customer needs and the industry, think outside the box and stay open to pivot your company to meet those needs.

I was thrilled when I first found out about the Cove. It’s been a long time coming for our local community to have an entrepreneurship hub. EiR is just one of the many awesome programs and opportunities that the Cove brings to our community. I love the opportunities that the Cove EiR program brings for me to work with other entrepreneurs. It is a great environment to meet like minded and ambitious entrepreneurs and investors.  Being part of their journey has been a privilege and it helps me learn and grow both personally and professionally.  I often meet interesting people at the Cove and have fascinating discussions with them on a wide variety of topics.  It has been a great experience and personally satisfying to be able to help others achieve their dreams.

I’m a Harry Potter fan, so I would love to take a train to Hogwarts and learn how to use all the magic spells, travel through chimneys, and fly around on my brand new Firebolt playing Quidditch. As a science geek, I’m constantly analyzing and looking for explanations to make sense of the world around me.  So there’s something about living in a world of magic, accepting that sometimes there are things you just can’t explain.  Actually… I really just want to buy a wand and play magic tricks on people and race around the sky on broomsticks. Ha