The fourth installment of StartupOC, a showcase bringing together venture capitalists, angel investors and promising startups was held at the Cove @ UCI in partnership with OCTANe and the Greater Irvine Chamber of Commerce. The focus was on healthcare and general technology. Startups had five minutes to pitch, followed up by a round of questions from the audience.
Participating groups included:
- Cove Fund
- GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Mark IV Capital
- Mercato Partners
- Moore VP
- Okapi VC
- Stage VP
- Trinnovate Ventures
- Vertical Ventures
Richard Sudek, chief innovation officer and executive director of UCI Applied Innovation,gave the event’s opening remarks.
“This event series is a step forward in raising the profile for Orange County and coordinating idea flow with VCs,” said Sudek.
Bill Carpou, president and CEO of OCTANe, added his perspective to the significance of the event.
“͞The two key things we want to continue to bring into the ecosystem here is capital and resources/expertise to help grow companies,” said Carpou.
Participating startups representing a cross-section of emerging and later stage companies:
- Fresca: Developing a device to treat obstructive sleep apnea while improving patient comfort and compliance.
- Eyepadtic: Developing wearable augmented reality (AR) vision assistance for those with AMD(Age Related Macular Degeneration) and retinal disease.
- NanoIVD: A molecular diagnostic company ready to deliver new bio-markers and testing platform to improve healthcare delivery and patient outcomes.
- Charlot Biosciences: Helping researchers accelerate the discovery of bio-markers to identify the presence of early-stage disease by democratizing access to bioengineering tools.
- Eyes 4 Lives: A device to effectively monitor an individual’s screen interaction in real-time to reduce issues that can lead to myopia, eye strain (a.k.a. Computer Vision Syndrome), and dry-eye.
- Hitsfu: Powered by the latest machine learning technology, its product, Clairvoyance® is capable of modeling user lifetime value (LTV), cost per install, and return on investment (ROI).
- GTCBio: Providing quality forums, which facilitate the exchange of biopharmaceutical and biomedical intelligence between industry leaders, academic and government organizations, and the financial community.
- Axis Research and Technologies: Providing an elite platform for medical device manufacturers, surgeons and other healthcare professionals through its medical research and education facility.
- AVIAA: The first large-scale group purchasing organization for general aviation, which allows everyone, from individual owners to small and medium-sized commercial airlines, to easily buy the necessary equipment, services and supplies.
Following each startup’s presentation, the event concluded with a networking session. Matt Bailey, director of ecosystem development at Applied Innovation, stated, “Just the fact that you’re all here is a big deal for everybody, not just here at UCI, but the whole community. This is really what’s going to help us mobilize.”