The Invention Transfer Group (ITG) offer part-time, paid fellowships to graduate students, post docs, or professional students at UCI a hands-on introduction to university technology transfer and intellectual property management. Under the direction of a Licensing Officer at ITG, fellows will assist the office in conducting technology assessments, prior art searches, writing invention summaries, and initiating market research of UCI inventions. This opportunity give fellows experience analyzing inventions, and an understanding of the patenting and commercialization processes, while providing an excellent resource to the UCI inventor community.
- UCI graduate-level (Ph.D., Master’s, M.D. or J.D.) student or post-doctoral scholar
- Student should have completed at least 2 years of graduate studies, and, if a Ph.D. student, have passed their qualifying exams
- Scientific background in the life sciences, physical sciences, engineering, computer sciences, or medicine
- Priority will be given to GPS-BIOMED registered students (http://gps.bio.uci.edu/)
- Must have excellent written communication
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Applicants invited for interviews will be assigned a short case study to be completed within 1 week
- Approval from faculty advisor, if fellow is a graduate student or postdoc. Post docs may be required to reduce their appointment if adding this internship would bring them over 100% appointment.
- Ability to devote 5-8 hours per week to the program (some assignments may be completed remotely)
- Minimum six month commitment
- Please contact Lisa Stutts, Ph.D. if interested in the ITG fellowship. Include a resume and application questionnaire http://www.ota.uci.edu/top-menu/forms/intern-questionnaire.docx
Past ITG Fellows
Viera Crosignani, Ph.D.
Geetha Durairaj, Ph.D.
Candice Gellner, Ph.D.
Sara Pennebaker, J.D.
Anand Surendrarao, Ph.D.
Current ITG Fellows