Harnessing the collective creativity of industry and UCI to lead the advancement of innovative healthcare solutions.
The BioENGINE program engages and educates faculty, physicians, postdoctoral fellows, students, and industry leaders to develop impactful digital health solutions to improve the lives of people in our community and across the globe. BioENGINE is part of the Bridging Innovation Gaps (BIG) initiative at UCI Applied Innovation, streamlining the path between promising UCI research and commercialization and spurring regional economic development
BioENGINE brings together diverse resources at UCI, including the School of Medicine, Samueli School of Engineering, Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences, Beckman Laser Institute, UCI Athletics, and UCI Applied Innovation, along with industry leaders and other key stakeholders to collectively define and develop real-world, near-term solutions to some of the greatest high-tech and med-tech challenges. Through rigorous coursework and interdisciplinary, team-based experiential learning, BioENGINE trainees will become the high impact healthcare innovators of tomorrow.
Benefits to Involvement
- Access to emerging technology via student project mentorship, vetting, licensing, etc.
- Access to special facilities at UCI and Applied Innovation (e.g. maker space, specialized shared facilities on campus, etc.)
- Access to world-class UCI faculty
- Relationship building with UCI Applied Innovation, the University, and the BioENGINE community
- Recruiting from a pool of high-impact students prior to graduation (i.e. next-gen workforce experientially trained in both technical and business aspects of product development versus traditional, pure technical training)
How to Get Involved
- Join task force that guides program development and road-mapping.
- Vet and mentor student projects.
- Be a panel judge in June at the student “shark tank” symposium.
- Participate in BioENGINE programs designed for industry – e.g. seminar series, short course, lab tours, other enrichment programs.
- Personnel exchanges – students intern at company, company employees teach/lecture at UCI, or learn a new technique in a faculty lab.
- Sponsorship – promote your brand by providing funds to support the next generation of health innovators.
Thank you to the following companies who are participating on the BioENGINE task force:
For more information on how you can be involved in the next generation of biomedical advances, email email@example.com.
Information about the BioENGINE Senior Design class can be found here.